nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Strawberries, First season

  • From: "road's end farm" <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Strawberries, First season
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 08:01:19 -0400

On Sunday, June 1, 2003, at 06:47 PM, Dylan Ford wrote:

Daer Folks, I planted some strawberries this Spring, four varieties, and
not all that long ago. Almost all of the plants are presenting blossoms, and
I don't recall that happening in the past from first year plants. Is this
typical? For the longterm health of the plants should one prevent them from
fruiting the first season? Thanks. dylan

Yes, it's typical. If they're Junebearers, I'd pinch the blossoms off the first spring -- go through now, and again in a week or two as there may be more. This will let the plants develop better, and this year's fruit (on Junebearers) would probably not be much good anyway as the plants are most likely too small to support the crop.

If they're day neutral or everbearing varieties, as I think Doreen's Tristar and Ozark Beauty are, you don't need to pinch blossoms all season, just for I think about six weeks aftr planting (I don't grow these types, so defer to advice from those who do), and you can then let them bear later in the season when the plants are better established.

Rivka
Finger Lakes NY zone 5 mostly