nafex - [NAFEX] Kaki Sudden Death Syndrome

  • From: VBGarden@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Kaki Sudden Death Syndrome
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 12:52:03 EDT

Thanks for the observtions, Donna.  Frustration, like misery, loves company....and this is one of those mysteries to be solved by observation, it seems.

More info on the topic -  I emailed the author of the report on the syndrome,  Greg Reighard at Clemson,  this morning and he responded immediately -- which I deeply appreciated, such being the rarity it is in academic circles. (Said with a smile, Lucky!)

Here is his latest take on the problem, sent as replies to my email questions:

(Evident in Saijo but not two other varieties):  Saijo is very sinsitive to this syndrome which now I believe is not a virus but a complex environment related syndrome. .....

(Article says tree will recover and set fruit?):  The tree will never come back to be worth keeping long term. Remove it.  The problem is exacerbated by low pH soils with Manganese.  Persimmon is a manganese accumulator and kaki does not tolerate this when under other environmental stresses.  Lime the soil to pH 6.5 but calcium only moves about 2 inches down into the soil per year so not until you get the top 12-18 cinches of soil at a pH of 6.0 and up will you see much of a difference.  Take leaf samples for analyses to see what the manganese concentrations are.  .....

(Assume no treatment if a virus?): Once again, no virus but the soil may be too acidic and the problem could occur again.

So, that's the latest.

Somehow the presence of the black streaks seems pathogenic - like a disease pathogen is present -  to me.  Anyone have ideas about that?

Sybil
stuck in the seeminly perpetual mud in Virginia....