nafex - [NAFEX] Kaki Sudden Death Syndrome

  • From: VBGarden@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Kaki Sudden Death Syndrome
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 22:43:26 EDT

Hey, Lucky -

Man, oh, man that article pretty much described the problem to a "T" - and the situation seems to match: our area just had the coldest average winter temperatures in 25 years. No sudden extremes or ice storms, just continued unrelenting cold (all the northen NAFEXers would hoot to hear how "cold" +8 degrees means here) and lots of rain - generally miserable.  I will peel some bark tomorrow and look for the black streaks.  Although the article says some trees at Columbia recovered enough to set fruit, it doesn't say whether those recovered trees subsequently died - this one is fairly near my healthy persommon trees and I'm inclined to sacrifice the one for the good of the many.  What do you think?

Many thanks for the info - I appreciate it!
Sybil

Paradise Nursery
Virginia Beach