nafex - [NAFEX] fruit tree diseases

  • From: Mike Levine <mlevine@umich.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] fruit tree diseases
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 11:54:17 -0400

One of my new apricots I potted up until I could find a spot for it and I'm
a little worried about it. The bark near the base has a vertical split in
it. Afraid of borers or something I excavated a little and found some white
stuff that looked like fungal mycelium. I'm wondering if the fungus is a
secondary infection caused by a bug or if I've just got a fungus problem, or
both. Any ideas on how to help it heal? I'm worried because it's near the
base and will probably stay moist from me watering it.
Also wondering about borers in cherries. I pruned the top off my black gold
cherry and found borers in it. I'm wondering if I need to keep watching for
them or if they won't bother again until next spring.

Thanks,
Mike Levine
Ann Arbor, MI zone 5b