nafex - Re: [NAFEX] key limes, seedling citrus in general

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] key limes, seedling citrus in general
  • Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 16:59:53 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] key limes, seedling citrus in general
No, the trifoliate is hardy to about -15 F, and it has been shown in more instances than one that the tall trunk adds hardiness.  I've heard several speculations as to why and the one that makes the most sense is that trifoliata stays dormant longer than regular citrus, and the taller trunk helps keep the citrus dormant longer, and in less danger of freezing, than when the citrus is grafted low.  I've heard more than one person say that citrus grafted high on trifoliata starts growth later than when budded low.  Go check at the California Rare Fruit Growers - they've done a lot with this.