nafex - Re: [NAFEX] key limes, seedling citrus in general

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] key limes, seedling citrus in general
  • Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 14:24:17 -0500

At 12:05 PM 5/9/2003 -0700, Lon wrote:
I recall the story of Orange, TX. It was supposed to have been an orange growing area for years. In those days, oranges were grafted high, like 5 feet or so, on Poncirus trifoliata, so that cattle could be allowed to graze in the orchards without bothering the trees. However, newer orchards were planted in fenced areas with no cattle, so they were grafted close to the ground. Those trees froze out when the ones grafted high on the trifoliata survived. Apparently grafting the trees high on trifoliata gave them more resistance to cold.
I'm beginning to think there's something to this 'highworking' phenomenon.
I grafted some kaki persimmons 2 and 1 yr ago - all froze out this past winter, except for 3 varieties(Great Wall, Maekawa Jiro, Saijo) that I had topworked(I had leftover scionwood) onto some large D.virginiana seedlings last year - about 5 ft above ground. These look great.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY