nafex - Re: [NAFEX] key limes, seedling citrus in general

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: "mrtejas@lycos.com, North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] key limes, seedling citrus in general
  • Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 12:05:46 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] key limes, seedling citrus in general
I recall the story of Orange, TX.  It was supposed to have been an orange growing area for years.  In those days, oranges were grafted high, like 5 feet or so, on Poncirus trifoliata, so that cattle could be allowed to graze in the orchards without bothering the trees.  However, newer orchards were planted in fenced areas with no cattle, so they were grafted close to the ground.  Those trees froze out when the ones grafted high on the trifoliata survived.  Apparently grafting the trees high on trifoliata gave them more resistance to cold.