nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Edible Hawthorns

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Edible Hawthorns
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 08:29:15 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Edible Hawthorns
Lon,
I have read descriptions of Crataegus pinnatifida major in catalogs and I have been tempted to purchase this tree.  It sounds like it is doing well for you in Oregon.  How do you process the fruit (i.e. do you juice it and turn it into jelly?).  The hawthorn in my fruit yard produces buckets of beatiful red fruit the size of large peas, but the texture is mealy and the flavor is bland.  I let the birds eat all they want because I don't care to eat them.  I hope the giant Chinese hawthorn has more to offer.  I have also read that C douglasii when ripe tastes similar to pears.  Is that a good comparison?
Mark Lee, Seattle, zone 8a