nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Carnation cherry

  • From: "Vintage Virginia Apples LLC" <fruit@vintagevirginiaapples.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Carnation cherry
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 08:31:29 -0400

Carnation is grown at Monticello and was Jefferson's favorite cherry
according to Peter Hatch who quotes him as describing it as "so superior to
all others that no other deserves the name of cherry." Carnation, according
to Hatch was first mentioned by British botanist John Rea in 1676 but it
originated on the Continent. It was gown widely in colonial Virginia amd
elsewhere and is described by William Coxe, A.J. Downing, and Hedrick.
We have it and plan to propagate, but have not done so, our fledgling
nursery enterprise having been devoted to apples and a few pears thus far.
Our tree has just begun fruiting so we may have more first hand information
in a few weeks.

I do not know of a nursery source, bought ours from Monticello's Garden Shop
several years ago when they had some for sale. You may inquire whether they
expect to offer it this year. We also have May Duke from the same source and
hope to do some propagating there too.

Charlotte Shelton
Vintage Virginia Apples LLC
P. O. Box 210