nafex - [NAFEX] Tripod Ladders

  • From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Tripod Ladders
  • Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 12:56:12 -0400

Richard:

I have a 7 foot Stokes aluminum tripod, nearly 10 years old. It appears to be practically indestructible and can be left in the orchard over winter, but they are not cheap. A 7 footer would be about $100 today, and they go up from there. I sometimes wish it were a 9 footer, but not very often, since the shorter model is much easier to lug around and set up.

Safety consists of rotating the ladder if it is on a sloping or uneven surface until it is vertical and stable, and avoiding lateral forces when you are on a high step. I sometimes go to the top if I have something to hold on to for balance. It is always possible to achieve good stability with these ladders. There is really no comparison between these things and a standard, four point stepladder. Stokes is located at Kelseyville, California, but I was able to find one locally at Winchester, VA, where some commercial processing apples are still grown.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, Va

  • [NAFEX] Tripod Ladders, Don Yellman, 05/04/2003