nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Antioxidants in Bilberry, etc.

  • From: "Bruce Hansen" <brucehansen@acd.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Antioxidants in Bilberry, etc.
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 16:17:59 -0400

Good Rap

Bruce
z5 MI

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org]On Behalf Of LONGDISTSHTR
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 2:08 PM
To: NAFEX
Subject: [NAFEX] Antioxidants in Bilberry, etc.

The antioxidants may not be the constituent of these berries which
allegedly produces the desired effects in some eye diseases. I suspect
that there was a suggestion that there may have been some ameliorative
results in cases of diabetic retinopathy from decoctions of the leaves
which are known to contain a glycoquinine which is recognized to lower
blood sugar levels.
The fruit is said to contain sugars, pectin, myrillin, organic acids,
tannin and arbutin. Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) is the main antioxidant
and as far as we know is one of the antioxidants which is said to be
effective in combating free-radicals. There is some evidence that
sufficient intake (sic) of Vitamin C prevents the development of
cataracts.
Degenerative diseases of the eye, like the rest of the body, respond
poorly to treatment by any conventional methods. Macular degeneration
seems to be seen mostly in Anglo-Saxons with blue eyes.
Being that Bilberry is a European plant, there may have been some
positive results, even if it was just a slowing down of the degeneration
process. We have to remember that free-radicals are largely responsible
for the aging (degenerative) process and antioxidants are somewhat
effective in combating them.
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8 (where Sparkleberries and Rabbiteyes grow)
To every complex problem there is a solution which is clear, simple and
wrong.