nafex - Re: [NAFEX] "Sour Chari" and "CKVL#1": Joe Brown

  • From: "Sam Brungardt" <sam739is@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] "Sour Chari" and "CKVL#1": Joe Brown
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 22:41:44 -0500

St. Lawrence Nursery also has them for sale. I planted one of each of the 3 cultivars for my folks in Kansas (Zone 5) several years ago and last summer they bore their first big crop. I helped pick and process them, and they did have a few maggots in them (the folks had never sprayed them). The size of the fruit was not quite as large as a sand cherry (P. besseyi) and tasted like a tart cherry. And, birds were no problem (although the fruit was quite well hidden by the foliage).--Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn.