nafex - [NAFEX] allopathic roots

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] allopathic roots
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 12:16:44 +0000

Last fall I tilled a couple of 20' x 150' strips of sod to expand my orchard/ garden area. Seems that that time of year the days are just too short to get it all done in time. The first strip I sowed to annual rye but it was already too cool to get germination....... so on the second strip I soaked and sprouted the rye indoors, and raked it in - even though nights were in th e 20's. It worked, this year I have a nice stand of winter rye coming up there. I understand it takes at least a month for the allopathic chemicals to lose their potency after the rye is tilled under. This is where I intend to plant out evans cherries and saskatoons this week.
I 've never been clear about this - do rye's roots' chemicals only suppress other seeds' sprouting, or could they suppress general growth as well? thanks, Del

Del Stubbs www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3