nafex - [NAFEX] pruning evans

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pruning evans
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:47:38 +0000

I am digging and planting out a couple dozen evans cherries this week. I'll take the advice given here on nafex this winter and plant most on a lean hilltop (rather than the rich bottom land I had originally intended). I bought them last year as tiny TC plants - now they are robust 2' high 3/4" caliper bushes already. Impressive roots as well. Most have 2 to 3 main and equal branches. I know they can be trained as small trees or as bushes, all I care about is fruit production.
Question: With maximum fruit production in mind - how low would one be best advised to start branching? or just leave as-is with the multiple stems at near ground level? thanks much, Del........where the last of the ice just left the pond and the frog choir has begun.....

Del Stubbs www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3

  • [NAFEX] pruning evans, del stubbs, 04/14/2003