nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Different Rootstocks for Honeycrisp

  • From: Bruce D Kelley <drfruit@juno.com>
  • To: sgroppino@sgroppino.com, nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Different Rootstocks for Honeycrisp
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 18:14:23 -0700

Re: Honeycrisp trees-

I have but one Honeycrisp I purchased on M-111. It is one of the best
trees & apples in my orchard; a nice large pyramidal tree. The fruit is
excellent. My question, though is this - how do you go about sending the
patent fees? Do you need a license first, or can you just send the
correct fee for each treee you propagate? I have long wanted to
propagate some of the better varieties of patented fruit for sale & gifts
(such as Einset grape, Pristine & Honeycrisp apple) but do not know where
to send the patent fees. Any help would be appreciated!

Bruce

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 21:48:42 -0400 "Sgroppino Farms"
<sgroppino@sgroppino.com> writes:
> Hey folks. . .
>
> I'm curious what people's experiences have been growing Honeycrisp
> on a wide variety of rootstocks. Many of the postings I've read on
> Honeycrisp seem to be addressing the fragile graft union problems
> when grafting it onto Bud 9 or M26 or another dwarfing stock. I'm
> going to be growing a number of Honeycrisp on Antanovka, Bud 118,
> Bud 490 and on a Bud 9/111 Interstem and would very much like to
> hear what kind of successes (or problems) people have had with
> Honeycrisp on these other rootstocks. How long will I need to stake
> the Bud 9/111 Interstem before the tree will no longer require
> staking? Will Honeycrisp on Bud 118 or Antanovka have me old and
> gray (I'm 39) before I see my first good crop? What kind of yields
> can I expect on mature Honeycrisp trees using these rootstocks?
>
> Any/all advice greatly appreciated.
>
> John
>
> * * * * *
>
> John A Gasbarre