nafex - [NAFEX] Different Rootstocks for Honeycrisp

  • From: "Sgroppino Farms" <sgroppino@sgroppino.com>
  • To: "Apple-Crop" <apple-crop@virtualorchard.net>, <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, <cider-list@talisman.com>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Different Rootstocks for Honeycrisp
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 21:48:42 -0400

Hey folks. . .

I'm curious what people's experiences have been growing Honeycrisp on a wide variety of rootstocks.  Many of the postings I've read on Honeycrisp seem to be addressing the fragile graft union problems when grafting it onto Bud 9 or M26 or another dwarfing stock.  I'm going to be growing a number of Honeycrisp on Antanovka, Bud 118, Bud 490 and on a Bud 9/111 Interstem and would very much like to hear what kind of successes (or problems) people have had with Honeycrisp on these other rootstocks.  How long will I need to stake the Bud 9/111 Interstem before the tree will no longer require staking?   Will Honeycrisp on Bud 118 or Antanovka have me old and gray (I'm 39) before I see my first good crop?   What kind of yields can I expect on mature Honeycrisp trees using these rootstocks?

Any/all advice greatly appreciated.

John

* * * * *

John A Gasbarre