nafex - Re: [NAFEX] bleeding grafts

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] bleeding grafts
  • Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 21:12:09 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] bleeding grafts
One method of avoiding bleeding in nut trees and grapes is to save dormant scions and graft them on new, green shoots.  The green shoots don't bleed and dormant scions are less prone to drying out the way green to green grafts can do.
-Lon Rombough
I was loaned a wonderful little 1950's book by Carl Weschke 'Growing Nuts in
the North'. He mentions grafting nuts after the leaves start to come out (on
planted trees), but this causes considerable sap bleeding. His method of
getting around this is to cut the rootstock - then wait several days before
commencing with grafting. I am wondering if this might not have merit with
stone fruit like apricots that seem to need higher temperatures to callus? I
remember Bob Purvis saying to graft apricots late to get as much heat as
possible, but not so late that they fill the graft with running sap. 6"snow
today, Del

Del Stubbs  www.pinewoodforge.com  ag zone2/3