nafex - Re: [NAFEX] young apricot

  • From: kathryn stout <kathrynwrites@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] young apricot
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 19:10:51 -0800 (PST)

I got good fruit (and a very vigorous tree) from a
Harcot (supposedly dwarf but it was at least 12 feet
tall and still growing, 7 years old , when the
woodchucks got it--burrowed under and ate the roots).
THE FRUIT was very good. I had to graft it with
Goldcot for cross-pollination. (Decided to do that
after reading the NAFEX library file on apricots.
Apparently the best varieties vary, from one region to
another, and claims to self-pollination--phooey. Plant
two varieties close enough for their branches to cross
or else graft more than one variety on one tree.
Kurle? in Chicago? got apricots that way, that's what
I remember reading. I tried it and it worked. Here, in
Massachusetts. I had a Harcot tree I grafted with
Moorpark, Goldcot, Jersey, and something else. The
Jersey and something else didn't take, the Moorpark
and Goldcot did, but the Goldcot was the star of
pollination. The year after the Goldcot branch died
(early warning of woodchuck damage--one branch wilts
and dries up, in summer--no amount of water revives
it)
the Harcot didn't set fruit. But when the Goldcot
bloomed, the Harcot bloomed, the fruit was good, on
the Goldcot--and ambrosial on the Harcot.
I am still getting over that woodchuck last
summer--not
over it yet.

Kathryn
kathrynwrites@yahoo.com