nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: [BG]: fruit trees

  • From: Rodney Eveland <Reveland@WYOMING.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: [BG]: fruit trees
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 08:12:50 -0700

My Stanley is the only one of my plum trees that holds it's fruit well.
They will turn into prunes on the tree if my wife lets them stay that
long. She prefers letting them stay on until they are just starting to
turn as they then have a high sugar content and more flavor. We prefer
nearly all of the other prunes earlier in the season. A Stanley may look
ripe, but it isn't until much later in the season than most of the other
plums, at least in our part of the country. They develop a "foggy
looking" covering like some grapes that hides their real color. When did
you pick yours? We pick ours in Sept-Oct time frame if Jack Frost
doesn't kill them first. Definitely not in August.
Rodney in zone 4.