nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Root Grafting

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Root Grafting
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 10:26:34 -0600

At 11:08 AM 3/26/2003 -0500, you wrote:
 I am interested in any tips, thoughts and sites on root grafting of trees. I have not tried it but not having rootstock to graft to but I have the varieties I need I would like to try root grafting. I have found some info in books etc. They dig up roots same size as scions use 3 to 6 inch piece to make graft and bury root and graft in soil.

Gordon,
I've never tried root grafting, but have seen it described & illustrated in Garner's The Grafter's Handbook.  After several failed attempts at grafting Clermont black walnut, Cliff England told me that he'd only been able to get it to take by grafting it on a root.  I did, however, manage to get a take of it last year with that sap-stopper modification of the Gray graft.

Lucky