nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Bud 9 and brittle graft unions

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <efackler@woh.rr.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Bud 9 and brittle graft unions
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 08:15:47 -0500

Kevin:

Yep I simply forgot to mention our experiences with Bud.9. It is
in the same catagory as M9 regarding blowout. As information, roots
on Bud. 9 are noticably more brittle than M9.

The one odd (and maybe beneficial) thing about Bud. 9 is its general
lack of overgrowth at the budunion. After a few years, it is sometimes
difficult to fing the bud/graft union.

Re: age when trees become less sensative to breaking. In our climate where
spring time thunderstorms (and related winds) are severe, I've seen 10 year
old trees snap.

ed