nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bud 9 and brittle graft unions

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Jon Clements <clements@umext.umass.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bud 9 and brittle graft unions
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:30:01 -0500

On Wednesday, March 12, 2003, at 08:51 AM, Joe Hecksel wrote:

Ginda,
Can you elaborate on the reports of Bud 9's brittle unions, or direct
me to
the discussion on this in applecrop please? Is this with just some
varieties, is this in windy areas, etc?
(Wish there were some way to reply directly to an individual poster
rather
than always to the group)

This topic is of interest to me. Please keep it public. Another
question, have any cultivars been identified as having "brittle" graft
unions? I would expect that the more vigorous cultivars (i.e.,
Northern Spy, Mutsu) would have more highly stressed unions and might
therefore appear more brittle.

-Joe

Applecrop can be found at http://www.virtualorchard.net . Unfortunately, due to server problems, recent mail archives are not presently available, however, Jon Clements of Applecrop has kindly given me permission to copy some recent letters here. The following is a summarization of a thread about the brittleness of Honeycrisp on various rootstocks. B9 is mentioned along with several others. I've removed the e-mail addresses so spambots won't pick them up.

Ginda Fisher