nafex - Re: [NAFEX] what's wrong with runting out

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] what's wrong with runting out
  • Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 19:00:35 -0500

Hi,

Bonsai springs to mind. (smile)

You can bonsai grape;

http://www.maskedflowerimages.com/12840f.jpg

You can bonsai pear;

http://www.maskedflowerimages.com/14534f.jpg

Any plant or tree can be kept small.

Is your niece's tree in a container, or subjected to adverse growing conditions?

Later,
Tom

Ed Forest wrote:

I have first hand experience with only one tree that has runted out, this
belongs to my niece who let the tree overbear when young. It is, after three
or four years only 2 feet high! But it bears apples ok apparently. (On Bud
9)
My question is, does runting out, if later controlled by thinning, have any
drawbacks other than possible unwanted size control? I think its kind of
neat that she has a two foot tree that bears good apples.
I'm wondering if this could be done to other trees to intentionally decrease
their size. Has anyone tried this?

Kevin Bradley
2301 S Park St #24
Madison, WI 53713
608-256-2659

Message archives are here:
To view your user options go to:
YOUR email address)
NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/

--

===
Canada plant hardiness zone 5b

  • Re: [NAFEX] what's wrong with runting out, Thomas Olenio, 03/09/2003