nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fruit and Nut Interest Groups

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: "mrxtexas@lycos.com, North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit and Nut Interest Groups
  • Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 20:39:55 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit and Nut Interest Groups
The fruit and nut Interest Groups have been around since the start of NAFEX.  In one sense, they were the way NAFEX started.   Essentially they are groups of people within NAFEX who have especially strong interests in certain fruits.  In the past the groups were called Test Groups because thier main activity was to grow and test varieties of the specific fruit.  Now the concept has been expanded to allow members to do pretty much anything that adds to the knowledge of that fruit - testing varieties, breeding new ones, locating antique ones, literature search, etc.
   There are e-Interest groups for only some of the fruits because not all groups are active enough or have computer using members to make it feasible.  The old way was to send out round robin letters, so that each person added something and sent the letter on to the next person in the group.  When it got back to the chairman, it was usually edited and turned into a report for POMONA.  The e-groups serve the same function, only faster, and the chairman can collect material from the group archives (hopefully) to report to POMONA.
   -Lon Rombough, coordinator of Interest Groups.