nafex - [NAFEX] Antibiotics and fire blight

  • From: Rodney Eveland <Reveland@WYOMING.com>
  • To: Nafex <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Antibiotics and fire blight
  • Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 21:18:23 -0700

Has anyone used antibiotics to treat fire blight? Tetracycline and
streptomycin seem to be the drugs used although there are reports of
bacteria who are resistant to both of these.
I am wondering if anyone has enough experience to state how and when to
apply and what kind of results to "hope for". Tetracycline in particular
is rather inexpensive if you live in cattle country. I have seen 6.4
ounce bags sell for under $5.00, but I have yet to actually try it out
as pruning works, after you find blight, if the tree is somewhat
resistant. I have no desire to use drugs unless I can expect much better
results than from pruning. Rodney
Zone 5 this winter

  • [NAFEX] Antibiotics and fire blight, Rodney Eveland, 03/04/2003