nafex - [NAFEX] Growing Peaches in Zone 5

  • From: "Sgroppino Farms" <sgroppino@sgroppino.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Growing Peaches in Zone 5
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 15:55:02 -0500

I'm interested in adding about 20 peach trees to my farm here in Zone 5 Coastal Maine and would very much like to plant a few good, off-the-beaten-path heirlooms that have been successful in tough Zone 5 Winters.  Most people in my neck of the woods seem to be growing the same three peaches offered by Fedco (Belle of Georgia, Red Haven and Reliance) which I'm sure are great peaches.  I'd Interested however in planting varieties aside from these.  I'm currently considering four that sound intriguing (BlushingStar, Double Jewel, Erly-Red-Fre and John Boy), but don't want to bother if they simply don't do well in the Northern climates.  Does anyone out there have any experiences with Peaches in Zone 5?  I'd love to hear what varieties have worked for you in these blustery Northern Winters.

Any/all feedback greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

John A Gasbarre
Sgroppino Farms
Vinalhaven Island, Maine
sgroppino@sgroppino.com