nafex - [NAFEX] Apples & Kaolin

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apples & Kaolin
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:30:59 -0600

I bought some Fuji apples at the local grocery store yesterday, and they
obviously had been grown with kaolin clay cover. Some of the clay was still
on the skins. I wrote a short article about kaolin last year and talked to
several people who had used it, including Hector Black. Everyone says
kaolin is hard to scrub off skins, but it can be done. What are your
experiences? How hard is it to remove? I'm venturing into apples this year
and will be planting Keepsake and Honeycrisp trees. It is my hope to grow
apples organically, and I plan to use kaolin. So your experiences are of
great interest to me.
Doreen Howard
Wisconsin Z4b,
soon to be Minneapolis, Z4a or 3b, depending on how far north we buy a
house.