nafex - [NAFEX] 'Recommended' nursery sources

  • From: "Moyer, Richard" <ramoyer@king.edu>
  • To: "'nafex@lists.ibiblio.org'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] 'Recommended' nursery sources
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 09:48:56 -0500

Someone asked for a source of dwarf citrus; someone then recommended a
source with a 'citrus sale'.
A quick check at plantbymail.net and gardenwatchdog.com reveals an
overwhelming number of negative customer comments on this recommended
source.

As one who has encouraged local folks to plant fruit trees, and seen them
very frustrated after putting out inferior "bargain" plants, I cringe when
someone asks for a source and they are steered toward one with so many
negative customer comments. Have heard too often "I tried to grow '---'
once and couldn't, so it must be your green thumb". I think more of it has
to do with my stock purchased from nurseries owned by NAFEXers.

Perhaps a corollary to 'buyer beware' is 'recommender beware'.

Gooseberry and Currant buds active here in Zone 6.
Richard Moyer, East Tenn