nafex - [NAFEX] Apple recommendations

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apple recommendations
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 14:57:48 -0600

I haven't taken the time to leaf back through the last 5 years' worth of POMONAs, so I'll throw this question out to the list members who feel like they can answer - Ed Fackler, I'd be particularly interested in your recommendations, as you're familiar with growing conditions in this area.

I have a coworker who approached me for recommendations on apple varieties to plant on her property - she's not wanting to put in more than 2 or 3, at the most. Currently, there is an old Yellow Transparent or Lodi on the property, and she lost another old tree to fireblight this past season.
She's interested in Gala and maybe two or three other varieties.
I've also recommended MonArk as an early variety and Gold Rush as a late selection. Might palm a Chestnut crab off on her, while she's planting - I've got an extra that I grafted two years ago.

Any other really good varieties she ought to consider for a small home orchard planting here in hot zone 6 - southern west-central KY, about 70 miles NW of Nashville, TN?

Thanks,

Lucky