nafex - [NAFEX] Re: cold weather pruning

  • From: Terry and Julie Bradshaw <madshaw@innevi.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: cold weather pruning
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 08:50:13 -0500

Here in Vermont I start pruning in mid-January at the research orchard I manage. I start on the biggest trees; standards, 106's, 111's, then move on the M7's and M26's, doing the M9's and experimental rootstocks last. I am not too concerned with the cold weather (-19F yesterday) and the pruning cuts I've already made. Of course I haven't pruned in a hard winter like this yet (started in '95, last blast was in 93-94). I'm 75% done with my 7.5 acres, and into the M26's now.

To answer the question, I'll work outside at; 1) down to the single digits if there's no wind, and 2)up into the teens or twenties if the wind is cranking. I find about 25F to be perfect.

-Terry B

p.s. Can't wait 'till it hits -40...then Fahrenheit and Celsius are the same!