nafex - [NAFEX] RE: What do apples taste like?

  • From: LONGDISTSHTR <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] RE: What do apples taste like?
  • Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 11:48:00 -0500

Donna, I have one of your posts dated 3 Oct.'02 in which you discussed
Fibromyalgia and Calcium/Zinc. You said that fruit tastes sour to those
who are deficient in calcium. You mentioned that if one's body has a
sufficient level of zinc then they can enjoy food that would taste sour
with an insufficient level. You also stated that you found that those
suffering from fibromyalgia enjoyed the taste of malic acid (found it
apples). You went on the discuss that calcium mobilization in the body
requires sufficient citric acid( a product of metabolism) and there is a
relationship between calcium level and the metabolic rate.
So now I realize that what tastes unpleasant to some and pleasant to
others has reasons connected to age, health and nutritional status of
the taster. I surmise that a person's opinion of how an apple tastes is
strictly a subjective thing expressed by an individual and I will accept
their critisism or acceptance based on things over which they have
little or no control.
When someone ask why we eat white clay, the medical profession says it
is "pica"= a perversion of appetite brought on in deficiencies of
certain generally accepted nutritional substances. Although it is seen
commonly seen in the cravings of pregnancy, it's basis is believed to be
pathognomonic. The main problem is that we are still learning and we
still need research to determine why an apple taste good to some and not
to others. Of course we have to rule out prejudices and bias and that is
an inherently difficult task in itself.
I like tamarind, oysters, chit'lins, hog maw and mountain oysters.
Japanese "Natto" and Limburger Cheese fit my tastes fine. Home fries and
Sicilian Olives suck. Matzo isn't as tasty as grits to me.
If you don't like crab apples, you suggest to me that you are weird and
if you prefer Red Delicious to Granny Smiths you are way out there, but
as a physician with insite into the real world, I know you are a sicky
and ill people make me sick
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8
"Frankly scallop, I don't give a clam"