nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Honey Crisp & Pink Lady Questions

  • From: applehilorchard@webtv.net (Lee Elliott)
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Honey Crisp & Pink Lady Questions
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 07:00:40 -0600 (CST)

I grow several late season malus, Goldrush, Pink Lady,even Lady Williams
here in zone 5 (near Springfield, Il). this is a gamble because sooner
or later we will have an early freeze. I picked these the first week of
November, waiting until they color-up. I won't pay much attention to
zone maps, just push my luck and this works 4 out of 5 years. What
helps more than anything is my hilltop orchard with good air drainage
on 3 sides, site selection is the single most important factor that
determines success of an orchard, it's real critical for late season
fruit. Goldrush is a great apple, the only disease resistent (in my
opinion) worth growing, it is ugly, (rough skin) and not ripe enough to
sell and eat until X-mas, either my customers hate it or love it, Lee
Elliott's Apple Hill Orchard of Scott Co. Illinois