nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Failures- figs

  • From: "Kristina & Bruce" <herenorthere@lycos.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Failures- figs
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 17:00:38 -0500

I stop watering my figs when the soil in their pots freezes. I never watered
them this year because the pots were full of snow before I carried them into
the garage and the soil froze before getting dry. I'll water again after the
soil thaws in the spring. The only fig failure I ever had was when I kept
watering my first fig every couple weeks through the winter. I now realize I
just turned the soil into a solid block of ice and suffocated the poor tree.

In addition to spraying trees with WiltPruf to prepare them for winter, I
wrap all the branches in burlap and pile loose floating row cover over them.
Newly rooted trees don't get wrapped but instead spend the winter in a
plastic tub with burlap balled up around them and the tub's lid slightly
open. I believe the extra darkness and insulation keeps trees dormant longer
and these trees never break dormancy before they leave the garage. I'm only
ambitious enough to carry the trees out of the garage once in the spring and
to carry them back once in the fall.
Bruce Wittchen
Zone 6 West Hartford, CT

  • Re: [NAFEX] Failures- figs, Gordon Nofs, 01/22/2003
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: [NAFEX] Failures- figs, Kristina & Bruce, 01/22/2003