nafex - RE: [NAFEX] fruit exporing for oil producing fruits (camellias)

  • From: "Erdman, Jim" <ErdmanJ@uwstout.edu>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] fruit exporing for oil producing fruits (camellias)
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 08:08:07 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Lee [mailto:markl@nytec.com]
There is a camellia grown in China, Camellia oleifera, whose
seed contains 40-50% oil. The quality of this vegetable cooking oil
is
similar to olive oil. Roughly one out of seven people in China eat
food
prepared with this oil, mainly in Hunan. Annual production is around
500,000 tonnes. Why haven't I ever heard of this plant before?

I wonder if this is the same camellia oil listed in catalogs of
Japanese tools as a rust-preventing coating for iron and steel tools? If so,
it is quite expensive in the tool catalogs, way too high priced to use to
cook. If it is the same oil, maybe it would be cheaper from a food
supplier? I'd like to know more about it, sources, etc.

Jim Erdman, in Menomonie, WI

<<winmail.dat>>

  • RE: [NAFEX] fruit exporing for oil producing fruits (camellias), Erdman, Jim, 01/21/2003