nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Agricultural Census

  • From: Joe and Ellen Hecksel <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Agricultural Census
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 15:35:14 -0500

At one time, the USDA used $1000 gross sales or 4 or more horses as the dividing line between hobby and farm.

As far as figuring 1/10s of acres: A pretty easy rule of thumb is to figure 120 semi-dwarf apple trees per acre by the time you figure in lanes, ends of rows, parking, etc. So, you can add up your semi-dwarf apple trees (and peaches, plums, apricots, sour cherry trees) and divide by 12.

For dwarf apples, I would estimate 25 to the 1/10 acre. Dwarfs can be packed MUCH more tightly, so measure them if it is really important.

The form requires me to report what I'm growing by the 1/10 of
an acre. Don't know for sure how I was lucky enough to get on
this survey :-)

--
-Joe Hecksel
My personal website: http://my.voyager.net/~jhecksel