nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Minor fruit options--Small trees; Viburnum exploring

  • From: rob hamilton <lostman_amiga@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Minor fruit options--Small trees; Viburnum exploring
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 07:40:57 -0800 (PST)

--- "Moyer, Richard" <ramoyer@king.edu> wrote:
> You may have to wait along time for pleasant tasting
raw
> aronia berries. Others
> have placed aronia in the category of "flavor
> improves with cooking"; I'd
> put most black currants in there as well. As noted
> before, we use a few
> aronia berries in with white grapes while juicing,
> for better color and
> antioxidant levels.

I got a few Crandells too. I hope they turn out a
little better than the Aronia.
Once I get a few Aronia berries in quantity, I will
experiment a bit.

> Now that you have a variety of bush fruits in, have
> your included these
> small tree options?
> Viburnum: The local wild ones are pretty good in
> Nov, but insipid later.
> Adam Turtle mentioned a PA grower who had selected
> ones for better flavor.

I dont know about these. You got any other details?

> Any Fruit Explorers out there with superior
> nannyberry selections?

> Jujube: Small tree, some forms columnar. Striking
> shiny foliage, drought
> resistance.

I have two of these. "Ling" and "Li" I may get few
more.
This is one of my favorite looking trees. I want to
get the
"So" contorted variety just for an ornamental.

> Elderberry: improves with cooking

I made pie with some last week. Its not that bad, kind
of seedy though.
Your right about calling it small tree. The canes get
quite large.

> Cornus mas: outstanding ornamental, striking fruits,
> good fresh if ripe
> enough, or cooked

I got two small ones. I have yet to get any fruit. I
hope to see some this year.
I also have Corus Kousa. I tasted an unnamed variety I
saw in the city a while back.
It was kinda mealy, but not that bad. Very pretty
tree, so I thought I would give it try.

> Yellowhorn: nice bloom and foliage, has trouble
> bearing?? in the east??

I have one samll one, but I have not got any nuts.
I think it will take while. I am told the nuts are not
thar special though.

> Kaki persimmons (dwarf): Another fine ornamental

Oh yes! I love persimmons. Fellow member Lester Davis
has got me hooked.
I plan to have five.

> Mayhaw: may need to be sprayed for rust

I'm not a jelly/jam person, but I told its nice in
other things too.
Does anyone else do anything with Mayhaw?

> Hovenia dulcis: small to med tree, nice leaves

I got a few of these too. I am very curious about
these.
I find the fruit very tasty, but I am not sure what to
with them.
I assume you can use them like raisins, but I keep
reading about a drink
called "tree honey" that is made from it, But I havent
found a recipe for it.

> Poncirus trifoliata: some forms with reduced
> bitterness available

I got a number of these in pots. The Thomasville
Citragequat is one I hear
is especially good for my area, and the fruit is not
that bad out of hand.
I am going to try some kumquats too, but those I may
have to protect.

> Anyone else with other recommendations in the small
> tree fruit category?

Well, a friend of mind have a dwarf loquat that he is
trying to get some fruit out of
the trouble is that the fruits in the winter. I am
looking for a variety that will
escape the cold, but I am not having much luck. There
are some breeding
programs in China that may have some varieties that
might work.
I need to go up to Univ of Georgia to track down this
article that was
written one of the pricey horticultural periodicals
about some new hardy Loquat cultivars.

I wonder if one could limb-up a chinquapin chestnut or
a small filbert to a small tree?

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/nafex/XXXX@XXXX