nafex - [NAFEX] Minor fruit options--Small trees; Viburnum exploring

  • From: "Moyer, Richard" <ramoyer@king.edu>
  • To: "'nafex@lists.ibiblio.org'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Minor fruit options--Small trees; Viburnum exploring
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 16:40:19 -0500

Robert wrote:
"I have each of these too, though I guess I can get
more. I have the Aronia too, but ones I got last summer
tasted like a raw coffie bean. I was not pleased. I will give it another
year so I
will have enough to do something with."

Robert,
You may wait a long time for pleasant tasting raw aronia berries. Others
have placed aronia in the category of "flavor improves with cooking"; I'd
put most black currants in there as well. As noted before, we use a few
aronia berries in with white grapes while juicing, for better color and
antioxidant levels.

Now that you have a variety of bush fruits in, have your included these
small tree options?
Viburnum: The local wild ones are pretty good in Nov, but insipid later.
Adam Turtle mentioned a PA grower who had selected ones for better flavor.
Any Fruit Explorers out there with superior nannyberry selections?
Jujube: Small tree, some forms columnar. Striking shiny foliage, drought
resistance.
Elderberry: improves with cooking
Cornus mas: outstanding ornamental, striking fruits, good fresh if ripe
enough, or cooked
Yellowhorn: nice bloom and foliage, has trouble bearing?? in the east??
Kaki persimmons (dwarf): Another fine ornamental
Mayhaw: may need to be sprayed for rust
Hovenia dulcis: small to med tree, nice leaves
Poncirus trifoliata: some forms with reduced bitterness available

Anyone else with other recommendations in the small tree fruit category?