nafex - [NAFEX] Precocity of Asian pears

  • From: "Kevin Bradley" <edforest99@hotmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Precocity of Asian pears
  • Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 09:34:22 -0600

Sam said that it took his Nijiseiki 6 years to bear on the Oregon coast. I find that very puzzling. Here in WI they bear fruit the first or second year after planting, on betulifolia in full sun. They are very vigorous and healthy. My one Asian on P ussuriensis bore after three years.
In Oregon the season is so long that yearly growth is about double what it is here. So I wonder Sam if there could be another explanation for the long time to bear, such as amount of sun, rootstock, etc
Kevin Bradley
2201 Carling Dr #5
Madison, WI 53711

  • [NAFEX] Precocity of Asian pears, Kevin Bradley, 12/23/2002