nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Juliet Tomato

  • From: Mike Levine <mlevine@umich.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Juliet Tomato
  • Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 18:41:02 -0500

Not sure if Juliet is fusarium resistant or not, sorry.

I believe some species of Physalis/Ground-Cherry are native and others are
from abroad. P. alkekengi, the Chinese lantern, is Eurasian.
P. philadelphica, the tomatillo, is from Mexico. P. heterophylla, a
perennial, is most common here in Michigan and (I think) is native. There
are a few other species creeping around too. When ripe they do taste pretty
good, but be careful, I've eaten underripe ones and felt not too great
afterwards. Nightshade sensitivity.

> Still no market for my bamboo shoots but I don't care. I'll can 'em and
> eat them all year long.

I wish I needed enough to make it worth your while to send some up here. I
love bamboo shoots!

Mike Levine
Ann Arbor, MI
zone 5b