nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Esopus Spitzenburg apple; degree days

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Esopus Spitzenburg apple; degree days
  • Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 10:40:35 -0500

Hello,

It is my understanding that "degree days" are a standard measure, usually
applied to field crops.

I am not sure about predicting harvest based on degree days, too many
variables.

Say it was warm, but raining regularly. I have seen rain drive nitrogen out
of the soil leaving
growing corn yellowish, and stunting it's growth. This stunting, and how
long it takes to
recover from it, will affect harvest.

I think that degree days will give you some window on harvest, but not a
reliable one.

Even in the same 100 acre field, sown with the same seed, you will have some
corn ready later
than others.

Some of the latest technology is soil testing in a 3' gridwork across the
field. These results
are plugged into an onboard tractor computer, and the a GPS system in
conjunction with the
tractor, regulates the nutrients delivered to the field, based on the
specific soil testing for
every area of the field.

With all this, farmers still test corn for moisture content prior to "field
corn" combining.

I bet you will not even need a driver of the tractor soon.

Later,
Tom