nafex - [NAFEX] pear rootstock correction

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pear rootstock correction
  • Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 18:02:53 -0500

My memory of the performance of pears on Provence quince were a little off. After checking my orchard notes, I found that I've had several pears die of fireblight on Provence quince and the whole thing, including the stock was killed. The following numbers shouldn't be taken very seriously, 'cause it was not a controlled experiment. There were several different scion varieties on each type of stock and the scions were not replicated on each stock for starters. Anyway, FWIW:

Stock Percent killed by fireblight (scion killed completely)

Angers quince: 43%
Provence quince: 83%
OHxF 51: 40%
P. callyerana: 25%

These trees were all grown in Zone7 in N. GA. There are few places with higher blight pressure.

Anton

  • [NAFEX] pear rootstock correction, Anton Callaway, 12/01/2002