nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Esopus Spitzenburg apple; degree days

  • From: "Mark Garrison" <pawpaw1@cox.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Esopus Spitzenburg apple; degree days
  • Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 10:25:36 -0500

Sam wrote:
> It is not only the length of season but the degree days of the season.

I've been wondering about degree days as a way of predicting harvest time,
specifically in my case blueberries. Whether I could build up a record
year-to-year that would enable me to say that I can expect fruit to begin
ripening after x number of degree days from Jan 1, Feb 1 or whatever. Is
that feasible? Also, I wonder if there is available a historic record of
degree days. I see the weather service on its website shows heating degree
days, cooling degree days, and corn ripening degree days for locations
around the country. Are any of these measures the same as what we are
discussing here?

Mark Garrison, RI zone 6