nafex - [NAFEX] ORGANIC GRAPES

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] ORGANIC GRAPES
  • Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 09:07:18 -0600

Here in WI it takes 3 years before your land can be certified organic via OCIA. If you are really interested it would be best to make your design & get your plantings in place, locate your area certification agency & begin the process. most probably you will not want to certify the whole of your land, just the area you will be growing on. Now that the new Organic Standards are out & in operation, a lot of what is organic & what isnt is shifting around, so that would effect each winery differently I imagine. In order to put the new USDA certification seal on yr product it needs to be 95% organic.

Here in WI they scared up a bunch of grant money to give growers startup money to create small scale vinyards. I attended a tour & meeting & lost interest pretty quickly when they kept talked about 2-4D drift. There were a number of others there who were also doing the project organically which had the same reaction, so possibly all the organic folks may pool together.

A number of the growers here have gone into this completely cold, some growing grapes as the first thing they have grown, so Lon's book will be indispensible for folks who are just starting out & need all this info under one cover.

mIEKAL