nafex - Re: [NAFEX] juice grape observation....

  • From: Ginda Kaplan Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] juice grape observation....
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 23:02:34 -0500

On Friday, November 22, 2002, at 12:26 PM, mIEKAL aND wrote:

the server is doing something weird.. I sent this message a month ago & now its coming thru. where can I find out more about ice wine, Ive heard passing references to this for years. Lon?
I just got a couple of old messages, too. I think I got some of them before, though. Weird

by the way, I just got Lon's new book in the mail & I would say that if your doing organic grapes this is a must have. the kind of book that makes you wish for a really cold winter day where you can't do anything else but read. Im gonna recommend this to all the organic grape growers in my area.

mIEKAL

Me, too. I'm about half way through it. I think I've read all the parts that will be useful to me, but it's just so much fun to read. So I'm learning about growing grapes in difficult climates, etc., despite living in an easy climate for lots of grapes.

The section on cultivation and pruning is especially good. I've read about 8 sets of instructions about "how to prune grapes" and every other one says "do it this way". That didn't work for me, because I wanted to train my vine over an ornamental arch. This book says "here's the main goal, here are other goals you might have, and here's what you do to meet those various goals. Now I feel I know what I ought to do. I also know that I may run into trouble because my growing area may be too small, but at least I understand the issues, and should be able to make the best of what I have. I also now have a theory of why my vine hasn't fruited yet (likely too much nitrogen).

Thanks, Lon,

Ginda

Eastern Mass., zone 6