nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bearing Age of Date Trees

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bearing Age of Date Trees
  • Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 18:51:48 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Bearing Age of Date Trees
That's actually true, FROM SEED, but not for all dates.  The 80 years to bearing is the upper extreme, though many take 20 years or more to bear from seed.  That's one reason dates are grown from offshoots (called pups) of bearing trees - offshoots come into bearing sooner.  The California Rare Fruit Growers have had some very good articles on dates, just a couple of issues back.  Go to http://www.crfg.org to find out when the article was in the magazine.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, more, plus word on The Grape Grower at http://www.bunchgrapes.com