nafex - [NAFEX] Don wrote...

  • From: fuwa fuwa usagi <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Don wrote...
  • Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 15:24:55 -0700 (PDT)

Don:

You wrote:

Mr. Bunny:

My reply:

And a big fluffy bunny hello to you too (think of Norton addressing the golf
ball (Honeymooners) in order to get the intended inflection).

You wrote:

Blushing Golden was once a variety exclusive to Stark Bros.; I'm not
sure if it still is. Stark Bros. don't tell you much about the trees
they sell, not even rootstock type, but I strongly suspect BG is a sport
of Golden Delicious.

My reply:

I dug around on this a bit, and it appears “Blushing Golden” is a bit of a
mystery. Some list it as merely a sport of Golden Dleicious, others declare
it a chance seedling, and yet other claim it is a deliberate Jonathon X
Golden Delicious cross.

Don also wrote:

The take on BG is that it is a very late apple, at least a month later than
Golden Delicious, and that it has a more tart,
spicy flavor than Golden Delicious. It is also said to be an excellent
keeper, which would not be surprising for a sport of Golden Delicious.
It is supposed to develop a pink blush over the yellow background when
fully ripe.

My reply:

I would call it more than a blush…it looks like a baboons posterior during
estrus J.

Don wrote:

I planted a Blushing Golden five years ago, lured by one of Stark Bros.
end-of season sales. About half price. You can't be sure of the
rootstock with Stark Bros., but it looks to be on M-7.

My reply:

I have sworn off Stark Brothers. But at one time, I found that their
growers actually returned phone calls and had no problem telling you exactly
what the were using for stock, and reproduction techniques. It was just
unfortunate that there was such a disconnect between those working the fields
and those writing the brochures.

By the by,there is Stark spur variety also.

Don wrote:
This year it set a good crop of fruit on the very nicely shaped young tree.
But most of the fruit did not fill out properly, although it was thinned to
one per cluster, and it all dropped prematurely.

My reply:

From what I just read it is suppose to be a bit of a pain to grow. A good
apple but perhaps not worth the attention it “needs”.

Don wrote:

Only time will tell whether this fireblight infection, which was far
more widespread on the apples than I had ever seen before, will return
to haunt me next season. This summer was extremely hot and humid here
(2nd warmest on record), but I don't think that alone was responsible
for the severe infection. If it does not recur, I may be able to ripen
out Blushing Golden next year.

My reply:

I am sorry for your fire blight woes. It is a “sad” thing. For those of
us whom only have a few trees, they sometimes become like children. We tend
not to be very pragmatic about situations. It is very hard to see your
“child” suffer. Hence, I can sympathize.

All the best,

Little Ol’ me

P.S. thanks for the info Doreen...i appreciate it...

The Free Email with so much more!
=====> http://www.MuchoMail.com <=====

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you@yourchoice.com w/No
Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag