nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple Picking- How cold is too cold?

  • From: Doug Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple Picking- How cold is too cold?
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 12:40:26 -0400 (EDT)

Commercial apple growers here in the Niagara Peninsula often have to
pick after nights of radiation frost when a thin outer layer of the
apple freezes. They are careful to wait until the apples defrost
before starting to pick otherwise the apple will be damaged.

The temperature reached by the apple surface depends much on its
exposure to the night sky versus leaf cover so will vary from apple
to apple and among different parts of a tree.

I don't know what degree of cold produces permanent damage. Best to
ask an extension person or commercial grower in your area. I would be
inclined to think that if the internal temperature is above freezing
and the internal texture appears undamaged it is OK.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada