nafex - [NAFEX] Re: [NAFEX]creamed honey/fermentation

  • From: paul simon <paul.simon@tcs.wap.org>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: [NAFEX]creamed honey/fermentation
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 18:01:34 -0400

Paul, this also explains why feeding sugar water to bees at certain
times causes them to store it if they have an excess. The result is
honey which sugars. We still have a lot to learn in apiculture. Lot of
"wisdom" is written by "armchair" beekeepers and "beehavers". Best
advice is to learn from practical experience. It is hard to convince a
dude who has been a beekeeper for over 50 years that you can get much
info from the few books on the subject.

Doc,

My explanation was to why some honey granulates and developes a sour
character.

The text by Roy Grout was the text for a beekeeping course at either Michigan State Univ. or the Univ. of Maryland.

Beekeepers commonly feed sugar in solution in the fall to overwinter their hives.

I have some thirty years plus as a honey producer and pollination service until I gave it up 15 years ago because of a bad back and parenting requirements as a single parent. My average yield was 80 to 100 pounds with top colonies producing yearly 160 to 180 pound each. I belonged to county, state, and regional asssociations. I am now back into bees for pollination needs. ( P.S. My daughter finishes her MS in mechanical engineering this coming January.)

Paul S. twix Balto. and DC, zone 6.