nafex - [NAFEX] Aronia in our blood

  • From: "Moyer, Richard" <ramoyer@king.edu>
  • To: "'nafex@lists.ibiblio.org'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Aronia in our blood
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 13:02:07 -0400

Hector wrote:
Might mention here that Aronia berries make a very good tasting jam or
jelly. The dark pigmentation usually means there are lots of anti-oxidants
present but I'm not aware that it has been tested yet. The juice is used in
Europe to color wine. Hector Black zone 6
PS But as others have mentioned, the fruit tastes awful on the bush.

My reply:
Many internet sites on Aronia antioxidants; this one contains such data,
plus cultural methods and yields. From Bernadine Strik, small fruit
researcher and educator. Scroll down past the kiwi info.
http://www.wwha.wsu.edu/proceedings/Kiwifruit%20and%20Aronia%20WWHA%202002.h
tm

We have a few aronia bushes from Hidden Springs. We use the fruit to color
our white grape juice. The anthocyanins (one source of antioxidants) are so
concentrated in Aronia that a pint of Aronia will color gallons of juice.

Blended juices/wines are a handy use of limited amounts of minor fruits.
Richard Moyer
East Tenn, Zone 6

  • [NAFEX] Aronia in our blood, Moyer, Richard, 09/25/2002