nafex - [NAFEX] Administrator Announcement--PLEASE READ

  • From: "Greg Miller" <gsmiller@cet.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Administrator Announcement--PLEASE READ
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 15:12:40 -0800

There have been an increasing number of bounced messages lately.
Some of it is spam, but an increasing number of messages are coming
from people who almost certainly are members of the list, but who are
rejected as being "not a member of the list". Why are they rejected?
Because computers are VERY literal.

Many people have multiple email addresses, but only belong to this
list with one email address. If you are subscribed as
johnqpublic@user.com but post your message from
johnqpublic@otheremail.com, your message is going to be rejected.

The other common occurrence is that your internet provider has made
some small tweak to how it processes your email. For example, when
you subscribed it listed you as johnqpublic@user.com, but identifies
you as johnqpublic@mail.user.com. Frequently email addressed to
either email address will get you, but messages posted from the
slightly different email address aren't recognized as being the from
the same user.

The solution to problem 1 is to subscribe with multiple email
addresses (set all except 1 to nomail) and then you can post from
all, or post only from the email address that is valid. In the
second case you will probably need to unsubscribe the old address, or
add the corrected version of your current identifier (and set one
address to "nomai"l if you don't want duplicate messages.)

I only tend to administrative tasks once per week, so try to work
around rejected messages yourself before checking with me.

Thanks,
Greg Miller